MSPA Forums
Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: Homestrife Off-Topic Thread

Re: Homestrife Off-Topic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AndIMustMask View Post
    im pretty sure if he were a playable character he'd need a little toning down. such is the fate of all SNK bosses.
    Or instead of Toning him down, make him Difficult but Awesome.
    WARNING. SIGNATURE OFFLINE. REBOOTING...

@Arms: I did say it drains meter while you hold it, so I guess it could depend on how fast it drains. In general, it would be mostly balanced. There's be a wind up and a cooldown, so it it wouldn't be instant, Darlos. I really like the idea of the move, as with the Green Sun Meter, so it just really depends on how we handle it.

@Mask: We'll be doing the playable version by default. The boss version would just be a powered up version of that, ie. attack, defense and speed up, etc.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I think what sua is poorly trying to articulate is that maybe he's more of a boss character only. But like fM said, we're going to go the guilty gear/blazblue route and make him a playable character FIRST and then make a powered up version from there as a boss.

I'm not good at putting things into words, so lets hear from some people who are:

....well i think telling the my place in internet is very ridiculous idea..

i didnt came here seen month ago.. (but there's new conversations..) did u finished conversations about jack? O_O

I'm not good at putting things into words, so lets hear from some people who are:

Wiggler

Just something that I thought of for Sollux while being in the memo.

Perhaps for his meter thing, it would be bifuricated. A special that he uses would activate one side or another, and that side would be filled up by him attacking. The only way to reset the meter to switch to the other side would be to activate a super in order to drain it.

Now, for one side, let's say the blue side, the more you fill it the more damaging, smaller, and faster Sollux's psychic projectiles are. For 1 on 1 engagements, trying to kill someone via health loss instead of stage jumping.
    The red side would cause your attacks to become larger but less damaging, adding more knockback and hitstun to them.

this is about all i thought out for it.

Sup guys just bumping this to post some ideas I had for Kanaya

So I took some inspiration from the other chainsaw wielding fighting game bad ass that I know: Frank West. For those unfamiliar with Marvel 3 his whole gimmick is a Level Up system; he starts off weak and gets progressively stronger as you build up points with his photo op special. The idea with Kanaya is that she builds meter with her command grab. The command grab can be combo'd into on standing characters but cannot be combo'd out of so you have to give up damage to use it. When she lands it she takes a bite of her hapless victim and builds 25% of her meter. When at Level One she only has a "Level Up" super available to her (call it Feeding Frenzy or whatever). This super spends 100% of her meter puts Kanaya on the next level (this super has zero invincibility frames so it must be performed safely). Every time she levels up her normals improve (at some point she'll start getting chip damage off of her chainsaw) and she gains access to new supers. Once she reaches her final level (I was thinking just to make it 3) she gains access to her Final Flip Out.

She'd need some methods to get in, of course. Kanaya doesn't use projectiles so perhaps she could have some super armor'd moves? Oh and levels would stay between stocks.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I dunno. The level-up thing doesn't really say "Kanaya" to me. The fact that Frank West sometimes uses a chainsaw doesn't really make him a "chainsaw fighter" or anything we should necessarily draw inspiration from for Kanaya, beyond perhaps just a move or two. I think we're going to have to come up with something more unique for her.

That said, the idea of her meter being filled by drinking blood is pretty good. I mean, I kinda figured she'd have some kind of Rainbow meter that dealt with blood. Though perhaps grabbing somebody and biting them isn't necessarily the only way to do it (though it'd probably be the most effective). Perhaps the chainsaw should draw blood when she hits with it, and then she can lick the blood off of it and/or herself for a smaller meter boost. You can hold the button down to have her spend more time licking, if she's covered by a whole lot of blood.

Regarding the chainsaw itself: while I imagine she'll swing it around a bit, let's keep in mind that the primary function of a chainsaw is to just hold it against something while the teeth spin. So I imagine for her chansaw-based attacks, you can hold the attack button to have her hold it out and spin it for a while. It does a bunch of small hits that gradually push the opponent back, and probably makes them spew a bunch of blood in the process.

Still, she kinda needs an overall offensive theme still. She's obviously going to be some kind of melee fighter, possibly somewhere between Karkat and Equius in power and speed.
    Last edited by Darlos9D; 05-11-2012 at 09:16 AM.
    This signature has been hidden because it exceeds 80 batmans in awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Darlos9D View Post
    Regarding the chainsaw itself: while I imagine she'll swing it around a bit, let's keep in mind that the primary function of a chainsaw is to just hold it against something while the teeth spin. So I imagine for her chansaw-based attacks, you can hold the attack button to have her hold it out and spin it for a while. It does a bunch of small hits that gradually push the opponent back, and probably makes them spew a bunch of blood in the process.

Still, she kinda needs an overall offensive theme still. She's obviously going to be some kind of melee fighter, possibly somewhere between Karkat and Equius in power and speed.
    from the (little) experience ive had with our chainsaw and trimmer, it seems more about making slow, smooth swings and letting the teeth do the work, not just holding against it--except for thick stuff like trunks, given what we uses is one of those mini-one-handed-dealies most of the time, this is slightly skewed.

personally i want nothing to do with the chair/rocketchair/legs debates--i just want him to be a unique and playable character, even if he ends up as the lethal joke kind

Regardless of his mobility I think that making him a summons character like Jill or Doronjo is a must. The guy is shit in a fight, his unique combat strength is getting animals to do the work for him.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Yeah, quite frankly my brain has said "rocket chair and summoning" for Tavros for ages. Rocket chair for uniqueness and summoning because how the hell else is he going to fight. Anyone who thinks he's some competent melee fighter is delusional.

"I imagined Kanaya fought opposite to her demeanor -- like a crazy screaming berserker."

Now this is neat. Honestly this is kinda how we've seen her in the comic. Somebody who knows more about Hysterical Dame than me will have to draw some moves from her.

Didn't the commentary that went with Rex Duodecem Angelus describe her as "elegant but brutal" or something along those lines?

except for when she cut open her lusus.

Way I figure it, it's probably best to make Gamzee the character that has everyone else's moves and chains them as his own, considering his Jokerkind Specibus.
    WARNING. SIGNATURE OFFLINE. REBOOTING...

mite b cool, i still wanna see a good amount of club attacks though

also john down-grab: CHAOS DUNK
    Last edited by AndIMustMask; 05-14-2012 at 06:48 AM.

recompiled all the suggestions and deleted old post, you'll wanna reread all of them, since we got a bunch more suggestions for characters that have already been visited.

(ARADIA)

(ERIDAN)

(TAVROS)

(THOLLUKTH)

(KANAYA)

(NEPETA)

(FEFERI)

(GAMZEE--seems we were pretty spot-on with this one)

(EQUIUS)

(DAVE)

(JADE)

SOMETHING TO CHECK THE VALIDITY OF:
    weight classes

Rose Lalonde (Light)
    Kanaya
    Sollux
    Eridan
    Jane Crocker
    Roxy Lalonde
    Terezi
    Vriska
    Dave Strider
    John Egbert (Balanced)
    Dirk Strider
    Feferi
    Nepeta
    Jake English
    Karkat
    Jade Harley
    Gamzee
    Aradia
    Tavros
    Equius (Heavy)
    Last edited by AndIMustMask; 05-18-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Hmm, weight classes are something that will need to be discussed eventually.

For starters I'd take out the B2 kids/teens and add Jack. John in the absolute middle is definitely right. I'd say that either Equius or Aradia(Robo) as heaviest. I disagree with Rose being lightest. I'd be inclined to have Nepeta as one of, if not THE lightest. This is actually a really hard list to put together in my opinion. Especially since John has to be in the middle. Here's my thoughts in no particular order:

John - Balanced right in the middle.
    Rose - On the light side, but not sure how light. Definitely not lightest.
    Dave - Either slightly heavier or slightly lighter than John.
    Jade - I feel should be lighter than John.
    Aradia(Robo) - At least equal with Equius. Metal is heavy after all.
    Tavros - Heavy I guess? His horns plus either the wheel/rocket chair or robo legs should, in theory, put him on the heavy side.
    Sollux - I guess assuming he's on the skinny side, he'd be light?
    Karkat - I feel should probably be on the light side, but who knows. Maybe a bit heavier than John?
    Nepeta - Lightest. Just seems appropriate to me.
    Kanaya - Same weight, if not slightly heavier than Rose.
    Terezi - Definitely on the light side. Probably equal, if not a little lighter than Vriska.
    Vriska - See Terezi.
    Equius - Heaviest. All that muscle and STRONGNESS has to weigh him down.
    Gamzee - Everyone sees him being the tallest, so I guess put him on the heavy end of the scale.
    Eridan - Could go either way. I see him on the weak scrawny side, but others see him as a more tall, regal type. Plus aquatic trolls could, in theory, be heavier for reasons I can be bothered properly researching.
    Feferi - Could go either way. Small sprite says chunky, hero mode images suggest one of the skinniest. Then there's all that hair, and potential aquatic troll biology stuff in play.
    Jack - Big wolf beast so in theory should be heavy. But is a carapace, so would that be lighter or heavier than a human/troll?

So:
    Nepeta(Lightest)
    Rose, Kanaya, Jade, Sollux, Terezi, Vriska(Lighter than John)
    John(Middle)
    Tavros, Gamzee, Jack, Feferi, Karkat(Heavier than John)
    Equius/Aradia(Heaviest)
    Dave, Eridan(Undecided, but one in each weight class)

Note 3 things:
    1. I'm assuming trolls are naturally heavier than a human equivalent for some reason.
    2. I'm either making up headcanon or going with popular fanon with body types here.
    3. Not counting weapons here, JUST body types.

A joke would be having Feferi(or Vriska) the heaviest, but that's as far as that goes.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

It would be their inertia / physical resistance that would be important, so I imagine Bec functions as very heavy - enough power to keep a steadying pressure effect.

I'm thinking in this order (Heavy to Light):
    Last edited by trulyElse; 05-15-2012 at 03:41 AM.
    Alternatively,
    > Shit: Happen.

The kids are pretty much shop mannequins with faces Sharpied onto them, physically speaking. Which is to say, they're all drawn almost perfectly identical, presumably because Hussie doesn't care too much about the physique of thirteen-year-olds. Physical combat is very rare (especially outside of Sprite Mode), and when it does happen, it tends to be either very abstract or drawn by a dozen different artists.

So you need to pick something else to base weight classes on.
    • Headcanon. I wouldn't recommend this. There's so little consensus that you're basically pulling weight classes out of a hat.
    • Pure logic, how things "should" be (eg, metal is heavy). Probably a bit too literal, especially when you have to take into account telekenisis and future tech.
    • Gameplay. Pick a fighting style (like, I don't know, focusing on Dave's flash stepping, having him be a light but frequent damage dealer with excellent recovery), and then choose the weight class which best matches and balances that style. This option is the least likely to produce combinations which "feel wrong" intuitively.
    • Graphics. Make the first couple of animations based on what looks good and matches the character's fighting style, then match those animations up with a weight class. This will make the sprites seem more "real", but it could cause the physics to seem sort of awkward.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by frozenMeatpopsicle View Post
    Especially since John has to be in the middle.
    Does he? We've previous discussed how we should just make John as John-like as possible, NOT as "main FG character"-like as possible. I wouldn't say he absolutely must be smack in the middle of weight. His hammer has to count for something. I'd actually make him a bit heavier on average.

I'd vote on Aradia as heaviest, probably followed by Equius. Keep in mind that Aradia can fly though, so that alleviates her weight when she's actually in control of herself. It's just when she actually gets hit and starts getting knocked around by opponents (and, hence, isn't in control of herself) that her weight comes 100% into play.

And really I think that's the only time when "weight" comes into play for all characters anyway: when they're getting hit, not when they're outside of hitstun. When they're outside of hitstun, their various velocities are pretty much "hard coded." So like, their vertical jump velocity is one single defined value. It's not like they have a "jump strength" and then we do calculations involving mass to get the actual velocity or anything. That would be a pointless amount of work.

As for falling speed, there is going to be a universal downward acceleration (basically, gravity) as well as a universal max falling speed, but I'm going to include the options for individual holds and actions that include wind resistance and custom max speeds. That way characters can float and stuff (like holding Rachel's jC in BlazBlue)
    Last edited by Darlos9D; 05-15-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Just a quick idea for dave I thought of:

Perhaps he could have a dash like attack that, after finishing, allows you to indicate any (number) of directions and have (number) stabe time clones attack consecutively? Maybe even make the attack continuous until a (largish number) have attacked or the most recent dave gets hit, breaking the combo?

Sems like a fun kind of combo you could make abusing time powers like Dave does.

EDIT:

Also, I agree that maybe John should be a but heavier than average. To be honest, Im thinking that maybe Karkat and Kanaya should be the ones in the middle, Karkat being a bit heavier than Kanaya.

Sollux should be lighetst followed closely by Nepeta in my opinion, While Heaviest should probably be Equius so that Aradia isn't put at TOO much of an advantage with her weight.
    Last edited by PumpkinAppearifier; 05-15-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast