MSPA Forums
Page 27 of 97 FirstFirst ... 17242526272829303777 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanguine Condensation Appreciation Station

Witch of Heart/Thief of Fun Stormspirit's Avatar

Re: Blood Precipitation Appreciation Station

Quote Originally Posted by recalcitrantIre View Post
    ...of course! It explains so much! Hmm, that doomed Eridan with the Feferi that healed WV, maybe its because they succeeded in the red quadrant?
    Obviously, rI. Eridan can doom everybody with such a simple thing as his dick. And also save it by being a dick.

Well I'm not entirely sure on the Liara part, I think she has different/no face markings, but otherwise I agree with you entirely.
    Yeah, she doesn't have face markings, but it's pretty obviously a tweaked version of her outfit from ME1.
    Folders and sigquotes below. Warning: This may cause brain damage. http://i.imgur.com/LltzU.pnghttp://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...gendercorn.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/b1RdM.gif

Do you have what it takes to join my Fubuki Group

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorMortis View Post
    I'm not gonna lie Condesce is pretty villain sue.

Here's a list I found of Mary Sue characteristics.

Just flip some of these around to the evil equivalent, and it kind of fits.
    So it depends on how you define Mary Sue.

What a huge surprise, I didn't expect this outcome and it has in no way been brought up before. This generalization has always been extremely well-defined and consistent for describing a character and of course for gaining insight into what that means, and we should all just go home now.

If we're going to get into a semantics argument, I suggest but one thing, which is to not get into it at all because seriously.
    Pearofessional pear pun enthusiast. Formerly known as P_equals_NP. Ducko on TFM.
    My Tumblr Where I gush all about my worst favorite kids cartoon shows. (I'm awful)
    My DeviantArt Where I draw things of questionable artistic value.

Doesn't stop me from loving her any less.
    Yeah see all this really does is convince me she isn't a Villain Sue.

(By the way that wasn't targetted specifically at you, but at the discussion as a whole, I could have quoted anyone there.)
    Pearofessional pear pun enthusiast. Formerly known as P_equals_NP. Ducko on TFM.
    My Tumblr Where I gush all about my worst favorite kids cartoon shows. (I'm awful)

Banned
    I'm not sure. It's dark and moist and something is chewing on my foot
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Doesn't stop me from loving her any less.
    geeze, these seem pretty broad categories, and being in just one ruins the whole character. I don't think there is a story out there that doesn't have a character like this.

Rogue of Mind mysteriousOutsider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by recalcitrantIre View Post
    Didn't the Scorbra fit?
    It looked awful.

Too tall.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmsAreLoud View Post
    Yeah see all this really does is convince me she isn't a Villain Sue.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinklefudger View Post
    geeze, these seem pretty broad categories, and being in just one ruins the whole character. I don't think there is a story out there that doesn't have a character like this.
    Hey it was the first thing I found. I actually tried to look up Villain sue first, but couldn't find anything concrete. Guess I still havent.

But yeah I agree, that alot of what makes a "mary sue" is pretty damn broad.

No, it really isn't. The only thing that truly makes a Mary Sue is the story falling into place around her without any real trials. All of the little checkboxes that one might use to define a Mary Sue are just character traits that on their own can make for a very interesting character.

Hey it was the first thing I found. I actually tried to look up Villain sue first, but couldn't find anything concrete. Guess I still havent.

But yeah I agree, that alot of what makes a "mary sue" is pretty damn broad.
    Especially when you're working with a mixed piece like Homestuck. If it wasn't a webcomic with universe-eating time-travelling demon pimp and omnipotent beings of every kind, then yes, the Condesce would be overpowered. But not here. She had to go through hell to get there.
    Folders and sigquotes below. Warning: This may cause brain damage. http://i.imgur.com/LltzU.pnghttp://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...gendercorn.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/b1RdM.gif

Banned
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

No, it really isn't. The only thing that truly makes a Mary Sue is the story falling into place around her without any real trials. All of the little checkboxes that one might use to define a Mary Sue are just character traits that on their own can make for a very interesting character.
    Right, right, they just make the character interesting.

Note to self, delete novel and plot summary, rewrite EVERYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspirit View Post
    Especially when you're working with a mixed piece like Homestuck. If it wasn't a webcomic with universe-eating time-travelling demon pimp and omnipotent beings of every kind, then yes, the Condesce would be overpowered. But not here. She had to go through hell to get there.
    Yeah, this actually really puts things into perspective.

As powerful as she is, she is nowhere as powerful as some of the powerhouses in this comic.
    Last edited by ImperatorMortis; 04-29-2012 at 01:29 AM.

I suppose this makes LE and every villain from syndicated [insert category] action cartoons Mary Sues.

Mary Sue is the kind of generalization people make when they don't really want to explain their opinions on a character with logic. It's okay for classifying characters that are just already bad into different kinds of bad, but then using it as a justification to show that a character is bad because one of its conditions is being a bad character.

Quote Originally Posted by wrinklefudger View Post
    Right, right, they just make the character interesting.

Note to self, delete novel and plot summary, rewrite EVERYTHING
    Imagine if Batman was as weak as he should be.

The comics would have been pretty damn short lived if he was.

@P: The difference there is that their plans are going to be fucked up immensely at some point.

She's also the servant of this demon pimp.

No Sue is going to be anybody's servant at any point in the story. That is before-the-story-starts pity shit.
    Yeah, a Sue would actually turns out to be this very demon pimp and have played the role of the villain and the servant all along. And we would learn of this five minutes after her introduction. Just because, well, why the fuck not.

Yeah, this actually really puts things into perspective.
    It helps to remember that Homestuck's characters extend well beyond simple humans and their silly little game. It started by being about that, then escalated to time-travel, doomed timelines, entire universes being created, etc.

Anyway, I really have to go to sleep, my eyes are starting to cross and I'm falling asleep right on the spot. So...good night, everybody! I'll be back online in a few hours!
    Last edited by Stormspirit; 04-29-2012 at 01:30 AM.

Ambassador to Angry Brits bloodyEmissary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriousOutsider View Post
    It looked awful.

Too tall.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspirit View Post
    It is pretty hard to be overpowered in Homestuck.
    Unless you're LE, that is. And since he's the main antagonist in a story full of gods and semi-omniscient semi-omnipotent creatures, he kind of has to be OP'ed.
    3DS Friend Code: 3523-2221-1197
    http://i.imgur.com/C3AGU.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/m5jMs.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/1ADIO.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/XOIPW.png

Rogue of Mind mysteriousOutsider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bloodyEmissary View Post
    ?
    Your innuendo detection powers have surpassed mine.

I am... so proud?

And I will insist forever that Mary Sue as a term only refers to fan fiction and certain very very bad novels.

Who said Condy was Sue-ish? Because that makes no sense. If you wante to say she was an over powered cardboard villain, I would disagree, but I could talk to you. Terminology is important.
    Do not even look in here it is a goshawful mess that I do not have the time or sanity to deal with.

Ambassador to Angry Brits bloodyEmissary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriousOutsider View Post
    Your innuendo detection powers have surpassed mine.

I am... so proud?
    I was actually kind of surprised that nobody had ed the Scorbra posts before I did. It just seems so incredibly obvious a thing.
    3DS Friend Code: 3523-2221-1197
    http://i.imgur.com/C3AGU.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/m5jMs.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/1ADIO.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/XOIPW.png

King of Kei / Seer of Heart PrincessOfSwords's Avatar
    Pronouns
    [any]

Also I personally like this Mary Sue test, since we are talking about it. It covers a whole lot and is also pretty reasonable.

I was actually kind of surprised that nobody had ed the Scorbra posts before I did. It just seems so incredibly obvious a thing.
    I was too busy thinking of what the hell a Scorbra could be other than a covering for Mindfang's boobs.

ing my own creation would have seemed a bit... trite. And Storm was probably too tired to notice it, or something (good night)
    that was the plan, though
    I was too busy thinking of what the hell a Scorbra could be other than a covering for Mindfang's boobs.
    No, thats a Scorwobblerucksack

gotta keep the correct terminology

?
    It is pretty hard to be overpowered in Homestuck.
    Unless you're LE, that is. And since he's the main antagonist in a story full of gods and semi-omniscient semi-omnipotent creatures, he kind of has to be OP'ed.
    It just makes me excited. I bet the final boss fight will put the Problem Sleuth fight to shame. Fraymotifs all over the place.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    You're right. How'd you loose your teeth?
    car wreck many years ago, i had just grown the adult two teeth that were originally knocked out. bone loss from this same accident doomed the rest over the years, no now i am missing all of my upper right teeth aside from three molars (with a gap between one and the other two, none the less)

oh, and i have but one wisdom tooth left, having had the match to the remaining one cut out last week.

Banned
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Imagine if Batman was as weak as he should be.

The comics would have been pretty damn short lived if he was.

@P: The difference there is that their plans are going to be fucked up immensely at some point.
    actually, I was just joking, I don't think any of my characters are even close to mary sueish as batman. Everyone has their flaws. The most overpowered good guy in the story is hated by just about everybody for no particular reason, and despite being omniscient keeps forgetting that everyone else sees time linearly, causing him to accidentally give universal spoilers. The female lead is, despite being powerful, attractive and smart, a talentless hack who has all the symptoms of ADD without the actual disorder. The lead villainess is, um, shit, does suicidal and uncaring about collateral damage count as a character flaw?