Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1200

Thread: Hoofstuck (Canceled)

Pronouns
    [none]

Re: Hoofstuck Year II (5/6)

>TS: Please know where she is.

There's no way she's here.

===>

Why would Colgate panic, come to your place, leave, and then go right back here? You're grasping at straws.

===>

You made a deliberate decision to save the greatest possible number. You placed quantity above personal connection. That was the ethical thing to do.

===>

Of course, you don't want to find Colgate because it's ethical, but because she makes you happy and she's in a panic.

===>

This is a test. If Seafoam's plan is safe enough for an entire village, it has to be safe enough for one pony. You already agreed to this.

===>

Given enough time, you could find her. But your library would be gone or destroyed, Spike and Bon-Bon as well, and you'd have no way to enter the Medium.

===>

Or you could do as you planned, follow Princess Celestia's instructions, and ally yourself with your five best friends to win an impossible game and save a distant world.

That's no decision at all.

===>

"Spike?"

"Yeah, Twilight?"

"How do I destroy the Sparkler figure?"

===>

"Well, I found this comb thing on the alchemihoozits. So maybe... brush her mane?"

Re: Hoofstuck Year II (5/6.......)

Took me a few moments to figure out those purple spikes on the last panel were actually Spike's claws.

Colgate either has no concept of pony psychology / patient bedside manner, or does, and has made her waiting room intentionally sinister, ominous and terrifying to be in.

Or she isn't a dentist at all in this universe (was dentistry actually mentioned as a thing? I can't remember anymore) since the building is clocks/sbale plot devices only, which, if dentistry is still her thing, doesn't explain how she juggles two jobs, other than time schenanig-oh, right.

> [S] TS: Brushie brushie brushie!

> TS: Accidentally decapitate/demolish cruxite figure. With a comb.
    Last edited by Zarhon; 05-22-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

That update was really sad.

Wiggler
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

> TS: Brush like there's no tomorrow!

Or she isn't a dentist at all in this universe
    I think her job wasn't mentioned but she definitely isn't a dentist. More likely... watchmaker? Her cutie mark is an hourglass* so it fits.

*I honestly have no idea if there should be "a" or "an". English's hard

I believe Violet, at one time, expressed his distaste for some of the fandom's roles for certain background ponies, including Colgate as a dentist, but I'm not 100% positive.

If there's any question of what Colgate does go back to the first image of the update where TS is approaching the building and read the sign. fnord.
    When you stare into the abyss make sure to stand in front of the sun so that when the abyss stares back it is blinded.

Quote Originally Posted by primordialGlee View Post
    > TS: Brush like there's no tomorrow!

I think her job wasn't mentioned but she definitely isn't a dentist. More likely... watchmaker? Her cutie mark is an hourglass* so it fits.

*I honestly have no idea if there should be "a" or "an". English's hard
    It's based on pronunciation. "hourglass", when spoken aloud, starts with a vowel sound, so "an hourglass" is correct.

Pronouns
    [none]

That sounds like something I might have said. At this current moment what I'm against is making her always a dentist, since historically she's been something of a wildcard character who could have any number of several different special talents or occupations.

In this context, the brown-haired stallion who's not Steve Doocy is listed as being Ponyville's "Timekeeper," in accordance with his trading card appearance and his role in the cider episode, and Golden Harvest said offhand that he's Colgate's boss, referencing this shot.
    Last edited by Violet CLM; 05-23-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

throw spike at the thing.

Twilight: Brushie Brushie.

Anyway! That's a wrap! The next update will be the End of Act. After that... I'll unexpectedly take a bunch of time off to create Hoofstuck The Video Game. Or, y'know, whatever.
    So, do we have a status update on Hoofstuck: The game?

Or are we getting psyched into having a silly End of Act instead?
    Last edited by Zarhon; 06-20-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Pronouns
    [none]

hoofstuck: the game will be pretty great

there'll be lots and lots of ponies in it whom you don't recognize and don't care about

and the disc 1 final boss will be Sodomuffin

well, maybe

licensing would probably be tricky

coming to an internet near you this ##/##/20##

Quote Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
    hoofstuck: the game will be pretty great

there'll be lots and lots of ponies in it whom you don't recognize and don't care about

and the disc 1 final boss will be Sodomuffin

well, maybe

licensing would probably be tricky

coming to an internet near you this ##/##/20##
    Well, as long as you do it all for no money whatsoever and it is free to play / DRM free, I'm sure we can wait.

Although, are you Pinkie Promising these fantabulous things?

Re: Hoofstuck Year II (5/6)

I loved the song. :3 Especially the flower ponies doing the see no evil / hear no evil / speak no evil thing (and is that a "The Scream" reference I see?).

Quote Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post

"Well, I found this comb thing on the alchemihoozits. So maybe... brush her mane?"
    I know that comb design, you mad genius, you!

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I hope the End of Act isn't too far away. 'Twould be a shame if Violet CLM had given up, which he hasn't. Not yet, anyway.
    Sigquote: CrimsonMage's Introduction to the Nightfall Thread:

Pronouns
    [none]

Quote Originally Posted by Zarhon View Post
    Although, are you Pinkie Promising these fantabulous things?
    Hmm... no? I don't think that would be wise. I don't really hope to fly, in that I have no illusions of my flight being particularly feasible, so hope feels like the wrong verb to use. And since I also don't believe in Pinkie Pie's being an entity who exists in the same universe that I do, there wouldn't be much of an incentive not to break the promise... except the idea that if I did break it, maybe she would appear. And since that would be really interesting, to say the least, I might end up breaking the promise just in case... the point is, no, I'm not, but that's a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by lunarDancer View Post
    Especially the flower ponies doing the see no evil / hear no evil / speak no evil thing (and is that a "The Scream" reference I see?).
    I've seen the flower ponies get drafted into see/hear/speak no evil, and I've seen the flower ponies doing The Scream, and I've seen The Scream coupled with the no evil stuff, but I couldn't think of any cases of all three together, so I filled that gap in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by emotionTongue View Post
    I hope the End of Act isn't too far away. 'Twould be a shame if Violet CLM had given up, which he hasn't. Not yet, anyway.
    Right... me... that... this.

We're coming up on Hoofstuck's second anniversary, because time keeps on passing whether I want it to or not. A lot fewer pages were posted this year than last year, owing only partly to this massive two month gap (all but immediately preceded by another massive gap), but on the other hoof, the artwork has gotten better with time, so it hasn't been a total net loss. This panel, for instance, kind of hurts my eyes to look at. But that's beside the point.

The odds are roughly 0% that I'll be able to deliver an end of act come the anniversary on friday next. I could maybe convince myself for a couple minutes that it would be possible, but Hofstadter's Law will probably be a good candidate for my tombstone someday. There was a day or two I thought we might be done last December, and no, I have no idea how that schedule was supposed to work out. That said, if I find myself getting awfully close to the anniversary and it doesn't look like a successful EoA animation is anywhere in sight, I may take that as a cue to can all the technical work I've done and revert to plain .png (and maybe the occasional .gif) files instead. I don't think that would fit the action as well, but I would rather continue Hoofstuck in a less than ideal format than not continue it at all. I think that's a good position to take.

(If anyone's thinking about suggesting I look for help... while that would be an interesting experience, the fact remains that I don't think anyone else uses the tools that I do. Possibly for good reason...)

If you're wondering why updating slowed down so much over the last year, besides the increased time that improved artwork can require, I need only point to my avatar. Just about a year ago, I was let in to the development team for the main fan patch for Jazz Jackrabbit 2, the single greatest multiplayer platformer ever created. Our job is to make it even greater, and as now-lead programmer, I spend a lot of time on exactly that. I would be hard-pressed to identify something in this world that's more important to me than that game, and ponies definitely don't qualify, so they don't get to be top priority 24/7. But I do like Hoofstuck, and I do enjoy creating it -- although, moreso single panels than giant animated monstrosities -- and I do intend to keep on making it, once I either get over this technical hurdle or instead throw it away for the greater good.

The greater good.

(Homestuck's megapauses and mini-megapauses of late haven't helped either, for the record.)

Anyway, if that was just way too many words and all you care about in this thread is pretty pictures of ponies, here's some stuff I've drawn in the past couple months that I don't think got posted in this thread. None of it related to this story at all, but hey, ponies...!

oh, and, uh, even more unrelated, would anyone be interested in buying some fascinating blindbag bootleg knockoffs? Personally I think they're really cool -- where else are you going to find a white Rainbow Dash?! -- but other people don't seem to agree. PM me if you're interested.
    Last edited by Violet CLM; 07-18-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Wait, you did the Flash sentry image?

wow, I've seen that everywhere but I never knew you did that.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

>Adventure: Update

Wiggler
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

>TS: Berate Spike for hiding the Sparkler Sticker Accessory

Mage of Space salamanderApocalypse's Avatar
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

>[S] Twilight: Enter

Pronouns
    [none]

Re: Hoofstuck (Canceled)

Hoofstuck is over
    This is probably kind of obvious but I should make it official. It was a fun thing, but there's no way I could possibly finish it, and I wouldn't have the time or inclination to keep plugging away even if there weren't big [S] things to worry about. I'm going to paste the entire plot below, Avalon-style, and you can read it if you like and see that I'm right that there's no way this would ever get done. Everything will be in spoiler boxes because I don't trust people not to quote posts that are really tall.
    Plot:
    Last edited by Violet CLM; 03-15-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: minor typos are one thing, but "lies" and "dies" are very different things

Wow. That's one hell of a plot. You are amazing. I'm both very very happy I got to read it, an very very sad I don't get to see it in it's intended form. Just beautiful.

Pronouns
    [none]

Thanks! Glad to have helped and sorry for what I couldn't do.

A few more details I forgot to mention or make clear:
    • Gilda! Let's see. The griffon watching the Froggy Bottom Bog frog temple was probably not her, just some random other griffon on temple-watching duty. She's later instrumental in the latter part of the big Act 7 battle, since her old friendship with Rainbow Dash makes her have a change of heart about waging war on pony kind... she probably doesn't get all the griffons to retreat, but she does convince a sizable number of them. She gets to reconcile with Rainbow Dash later.
    • During Scootaloo's dream memory, Rainbow Dash mentioned having seen the SBALE spirograph before. This was at Gilda's house when they were little kids, since her parents were part of the general griffon thing of waiting to revive Discord when there'd be a suitable Black Queen for him. Gilda's friendship with Rainbow Dash, however, was true, not motivated by this long-term mission.
    • Discord created the first griffons. Also manticores, chimeras, and all other creatures that seem to be made of multiple other creatures mashed together just like him.
    • Four of the planets in the Medium are colored blue, and two of them are colored yellow. Pinkie Pie's cutie mark (since it appears once on either side of her back) symbolizes these six planets, with the players' houses fully constructed (those being the strings on the balloons).
    • (My theory for why the houses need to be built up to Skaia in the first place: the houses are deeply connected to the players who live/d in them. Having them so near to Skaia lets them serve as building/inspiration material for the creation of the new universe, allowing it to be tailored to the players who created it. This isn't a necessary theory for the story, however.)
    • Moondancer is totally besotted with Princess Luna. This is never important to the story, especially given how quickly she gets replaced by Trixie, but it's kind of cute.
    • Parasol wasn't always a bully. Fluttershy and Bubblecup were actually her best friends, until Hoops and the rest of the gang made fun of her, and then she joined them instead. This is why Bubblecup is so mad at her forever afterwards.
    • Luna took the Elements of Harmony to use in her mission to free Chrysaor. She totally lies about this to Celestia and says they weren't there when she looked for them.
    • To clarify: the reason Lotus and Aloe both become Maids of Heart is Carrot Top, the Seer of Hope, already being in the session at that point. Star Swirl assumed there'd be six classes and aspects to choose among, but there were only five.
    • None of the Crusaders was a Thief of Blood. Their classes and aspects were assigned in different configurations than they were to Lily Blossom's team.
    • King Sombra was Princess Platinum's father. This isn't important in the slightest, since I never found a way to relate King Sombra to Shadow Lobster Kingpin.
    • I don't remember if the talk of Clover's "shield" was ever clarified, but in case it wasn't, that referred to Clover the Clever making a magic forcefield around the castle of Platinum and Puddinghead and Hurricane. Discord's reality-altering couldn't pierce the shield, but it took all of Clover's strength and magic (and very nearly her life) to maintain.
    • Aurelia, also to clarify, whom Celestia asked that Twilight give her regards to, was the uncreated White Queen from the forty-eight player session. Aurelia and chrysalis are synonyms. Twilight is never able to fulfill this request, since Golden Rule is a different person and also murdered.
    • The seven acts of Hoofstuck correspond to the seven panels of engravings in the Froggy Bottom Bog frog temple, as follows:
      1. Constellations of Pegasus and the Foal, representing the forty-eight player session.
      2. Discord surrounded by spades and swirly lines, representing the Hearth's Warming Eve tale (specifically the winter winds) and Discord's subsequent raise to power over Equestria.
      3. The Crusaders heading towards a spirograph symbol, representing, uh, the Crusaders heading towards the portal they made to the forty-eight player session's incipisphere. I think I might have called this Act 2 instead of 3 in the last post, my mistake.
      4. The Elements of Harmony surrounded by stars. This is the thousand year period of absolutely nothing happening between Nightmare Moon's banishment and return, plus at least the first few episodes Friendship is Magic.
      5. Lots of stuff. The 1 set aside from the 5 is Carrot Top, who's separated from the other Crusaders. Next to that is her cutie mark, missing the stalks. There's a symbol of a frog, for the frog temple. Gilda's face and wings, for the griffon conspiracy. A SBALE console. Rose's book. Seven plants, for the lilypads heading to the frog temple, which in turn symbolize the seven gates. Colgate's cutie mark.
      6. The Medium, with Skaia, the two scepters, the two rings, and the six planets.
      7. The Smooze.
    • Clubs Drake has a dragon girlfriend named Drusilla, who bears a strong visual resemblance to Whimsey Weatherbe from Twinkle Wish Adventure. She ends up getting together with Spike instead.
    • In reference to Hearts Basilisk having turned a heart to stone only once: that was the Black Queen of the SBALE session. The pony species made both Jack and the Queen naturally inclined to redrom over black, and Hearts Basilisk reversed that for the Queen, which was helpful since it allowed her to end up with blackrom Discord (and Jack with redrom Chrysalis).
    • I don't know where alicorn Rarity got the key to the exile station, or how she found the station in the first place. Neither are important. There's any amount of time between the end of Act 7 and that flashforward for such stuff to have happened.
    • Likewise, it never comes up what Celestia and Luna and Philomena's classes or aspects were.
    • When the griffons invade Equestria, Cherry and Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon and Noi and Alula are left on the mountain to starve. They're rescued by Pokey Pierce the Penguin, who knows everything about balloons and helps them repair Cherry's hot air balloon.
    • Diane, with Echidna's help, eventually figures out how to communicate with Pinkie Pie beyond triggering muscle spasms. Their friends eventually get used to having her around--if not physically--as do Lyra and Bon-Bon, who move into Sugarcube Corner with Pinkie.
    • Changeling Sparkler, stuck at the end in her Concept Art Rarity form, nervously returns to Ponyville, where she is fully welcomed on account of never having really done anything evil. With the help of Nurse Redheart, she eventually discovers that she's allergic to peanut butter and this is responsible for many of her mental problems.
    • Vinyl Scratch teaches her daughter Sweetie Belle, whose father is never identified, about music. She also very slowly comes to win Octavia's favor/approval.
    • Carrot Top and Bubblecup return to the life they'd always been living, but without any of the secret basement stuff on the side. Carrot Top is genuinely happy to be there with her best friend and her little sister.
    • Thanks to Rainbow Dash having become Skaia, the SBALE session's incipisphere thing never gets uncreated. Its six worlds (plus Derse and Prospit) become vacation spots, particularly for Lyra, who's fascinated by the unknown.
    • God tier alicorn status can be turned on or off at will. Flashforward Rarity just likes the look (and the reverence), but for instance Pinkie Pie only brings it out for special occasions.
    • No idea what happens to LYRAPLUSHSPRITE. Maybe she gets destroyed. Or maybe she doesn't, and instead lives with Pinkie and Lyra and Bon-Bon. That would probably be the funnier option. Granny Smith, though, as a sprite, gets to live forever.
    • Candy Mane gets inspired by her near-death experience to live a more fulfilling life or something like that. She doesn't fawn pver Colton, who's firmly with Daisy by then. Instead Raindrops helps her get together with Pokey Pierce, her fellow volunteer, who got turned back into a pony when Applejack absorbed all the magic.
    • Dr. Hooves is never remotely important.

Also, the levels:

And the fraymotifs:
    Last edited by Violet CLM; 03-15-2014 at 08:28 PM.

Oh man this ended and you didn't tell us in the pony thread.
    Pretty verbose and detailed epilogue. Shame, so much potential! Kudos on the writing.

A few things that bother me, though (sorry if you explained them, it's kind of hard to check):

1) What's the deal with the inhabitants/natives of Prospit being indistinguishable from changelings in their 'normal' form? They should, by all accounts, have the same 'malleability' and shape-shifting as the changelings, but it's not referenced. They also lack holes in their bodies/limbs, unlike the changelings (why do they have those?) and similar 'grrr I'm a generic evil villain' features. Granted, we only saw one Prospitian (the White Queen), but still, wouldn't all the prospit-natives effectively be white-colored changelings? Or even be able to act as their black variants with a 'palette swap'?

2) How does Twilight's Cruxite object (brushie brushie!) get 'fulfilled'?

3) How do the 'Mane Six' prototypings (flowers, and such) affect the Derse/Prospit inhabitants, if at all? They would add to the total options (making it 54 total).

4) Did the Midnight Crew have shape-shifting powers as well (besides Lobster's size-change)? What 'species' were they, considering one of them is a lobster (any reason for that unique distinction, apart from Rarity art-fad reference?).

5) When do the 'foreshadowing color/blood swirls' from the cupcakes get referenced?

6) Does a blue-colored Scootaloo (from the Gameloft game) ever make a cameo appearance?
    Last edited by Zarhon; 04-24-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Pronouns
    [none]

Quote Originally Posted by Zarhon View Post
    1) What's the deal with the inhabitants/natives of Prospit being indistinguishable from changelings in their 'normal' form? They should, by all accounts, have the same 'malleability' and shape-shifting as the changelings, but it's not referenced. They also lack holes in their bodies/limbs, unlike the changelings (why do they have those?) and similar 'grrr I'm a generic evil villain' features. Granted, we only saw one Prospitian (the White Queen), but still, wouldn't all the prospit-natives effectively be white-colored changelings? Or even be able to act as their black variants with a 'palette swap'?
    I think you're confusing the two sessions a bit? The 'malleability' was from Celestia and Luna's session, on account of its 48 prototypings. (And possibly one of the players was Catrina, who then prototyped the shapeshifting Rep.) Golden Rule was WQ of a session with only six prototypings, and would have exhibited aspects of those (like the king, and their Dersite counterparts, and the imps and ogres and such) before Lily Blossom killed her.

Meanwhile, the changelings are themselves Dersities from Celestia's session. They, their BQ (Chrysalis), and their Jack Noir (Discord) were the only ones to make it out without being erased from reality, but Aurelia and the WK (while/if alive) had the same power.

Sometime between being exiled to Equestria (out of Celestia's session and into Celestia's created universe), Chrysalis must have taken her BQ ring and somehow dispersed its powers into her followers, since ordinary Prospitians/Dersites don't seem to be affected by prototyping outside of being instructed to wear silly hats, but her followers were able to shape themselves into Bumblesweet and Minty and Feathermay and the rest. Note that Golden Rule is seen wearing a ring, but the Batterqueen is not.

As for the holes... deterioration, I guess? It's not really clear whether the changelings of the present day are the exact same Dersites as were exiled with Chrysalis a thousand years earlier. I could easily imagine their powers breaking down enough to create holes in their body, either across generations or just across time. Being powered by love (thanks to Love Lock's influence) but not especially lovable can't have helped either.

(Blackberry Cake is Chrysalis's descendant, but she's also Love lock's descendant -- yes, changeling malleability can work that way. Whether changelings/dersites can reproduce purely among themselves, however, without the aid of veil-based cloning machines, is undefined.)
    2) How does Twilight's Cruxite object (brushie brushie!) get 'fulfilled'?
    When Changeling Sparkler becomes Concept Art Rarity, her hairstyle changes. Eh, they can't all be gems.
    3) How do the 'Mane Six' prototypings (flowers, and such) affect the Derse/Prospit inhabitants, if at all? They would add to the total options (making it 54 total).
    They wouldn't. You never see random Dersites or Prospitians in Homestuck having crow wings or being able to teleport or anything like that. Prototyping is just for monsters and the wielders of the rings and scepters.
    4) Did the Midnight Crew have shape-shifting powers as well (besides Lobster's size-change)? What 'species' were they, considering one of them is a lobster (any reason for that unique distinction, apart from Rarity art-fad reference?).
    Again, shapeshifting is from the other sesson. Besides Shadow Lobster Kingpin, they were a diamond dog (Diamond), a dragon (Clubs), a basilisk (Hearts), and a pony (Spades). Unlike Homestuck/humanity, MLP is set in a world with a number of sapient species, and the rank-and-file Dersites and Prospitians reflected that same diversity, although the Kings and Queens were all pony-shaped.
    5) When do the 'foreshadowing color/blood swirls' from the cupcakes get referenced?
    Hmm... maybe when Pinkechidna kills Rainbow Dash, red blood spills onto pink pony? Really it could have been whenever. It's not hard to contrive to get two colors, one of them probably liquid, to come into contact with one another, so that was just put out there with the assumption something could be made of it later.
    6) Does a blue-colored Scootaloo (from the Gameloft game) ever make a cameo appearance?
    Archer, from Call of the Cutie and Hearts and Hooves Day and maybe some other episodes? Maybe! There's always room for background ponies, although most of my premade resources were and are adult-mare-shaped, so they're easiest to throw into pictures. She doesn't have any natural connections with anyone besides High Score/Button Mash, Apple Bytes, and Sun Glimmer/Star Hopper, so unlike Noi or Alula, nothing would obviously justify her appearance. I guess you could decide she's related to Silverspeed because they both have bow+arrow cutie marks, but even Silverspeed never did anything besides freak out at the Whitetail Woods.
    Last edited by Violet CLM; 04-24-2014 at 04:29 PM.

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3845464748