MSPA Forums
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 374445464748 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1198

Thread: Hoofstuck (Canceled)

Pronouns
    [none]

Re: Hoofstuck Year II (5/6)

Quote Originally Posted by Masterweaver View Post
    HEIR and BARD: This one's trickier; when they were first assigned, I assume that Calliope hadn't explained classes yet so...
    Ah, yes, Calliope. Let's see... I think I've mentioned this before, but here's roughly my opinion about anything she says. It's hard to think of a less reliable source than someone who is modeled after a Homestuck fan creating their own theories to tie everything together using systems that have never been mentioned outside of said theories.
    Also, all the players are female although there's supposed to be a balance of "male" and "Female" positions.
    This is actually foreshadowing, and will be addressed later.

In the meantime, if you like you can justify it to yourself by saying that it's ridiculous to think the SBURB/SGRUB/SBALE/etc. game protoconceptual thing has "equal numbers of male and female players" hardcoded into its most basic conceptcode. Not all player species are going to be guaranteed to have exactly two sexes, after all. Instead, imagine it like the card game "Set," where you need to pick out sets of three cards as defined by four features: shape, color, number, and fill pattern. For each feature, the cards must either all have the same value for that feature (e.g. all red) or all different values (e.g. one oval, one squiggle, one diamond). SBURB/etc. works the same way, but for the most salient cultural features of the player's species. Trolls are all different blood colors and all different sexes, divided evenly among the number of players since there are fewer sexes than players. Humans are all different sexes (again divided) and all the same race (#FFFFFF). Ponies are all different breeds (except alicorns I guess) and all the same sex.

I should listen to Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido someday.
    Last edited by Violet CLM; 04-19-2013 at 04:08 AM.

What about the diversity of noble/sea-trolls and land-dweller trolls, or even the "mutant" exception that Karkat is?

There's also the fact that each "player homeworld/universe" of Sburb is the result of a previous session's players winning, and getting the ultimate prize of making their own world, or it being made by default somehow, within the "rules" of the game. So there is likely going to be *some* imperative on what works and what doesn't - necessity of reproduction / biological diversion / evolutionary advancement, for instance (frogs as well), so that the next game can happen without it being defaulted as a null/void session for every single instance of it. And the world of Pony has gender diversity, so that would apply to it. Skaia is either being cray-cray, or is trying to ship everypony with male griffons/ponies/troll/cherub/changeling equivalents.

Or some of mane six are in fact genderless/male changelings, but what are the odds of that?

And speaking of cherubs, hows this for an insane theory idea - Griffons are actually the cherubs of Equestria! Griffons are born as a twins (birds of a feather), one super-cranky and moderately aggressive, the other civilized and kind. This would mean that Gilda would be an example of a "bad" twin, and Gustave the "good" kind (or possibly the bad version, depending on how you view his attitude).

This, of course, would mean that there is a kind, friendly girl-griffon named Hilda.

Sparkler's "personality swings" also sounds very cherub-like.
    Last edited by Zarhon; 04-19-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

How about previous generation ponies as those other kinds of spieces?

Pronouns
    [none]

Quote Originally Posted by Zarhon View Post
    What about the diversity of noble/sea-trolls and land-dweller trolls, or even the "mutant" exception that Karkat is?
    • Nobility/seatrollness appears to be a direct function of blood color.
    • I don't remember well enough the explanation/s of candy red, the missing jade lime green color, and that one color from the grand highblood's walls (if that wasn't the same jade lime green that Karkat isn't) to comment on them. Tentatively, SGRUB saw that there were twelve distinct blood colors and worked from there, but then Karkat messed it up and gave his own blood color cancer.
    • Also humans arose from Earth without the trolls needing to directly reproduce them from incestuous slurries which don't even require sexing that I know of.

anyway this is all an alternate theory that doesn't really apply here because skaia has other plans. she is basically full of plans. go listen to one of my favorite pony songs instead.
    Last edited by Violet CLM; 04-19-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: yes correct

Lord of Meta
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Just a minor thing, but Kanaya is a jade-blood. The missing blood colour from the canon trolls is lime green.

Wow. At first I thought these prototypings were mostly random, but after seeing Weaver spell it out so clearly... there is a *lot* of synergy between these objects. I just gotta add my two cents here! Sorry that they're a little scattered, I had to put them in the order I thought of them in, or else I thought I'd lose 'em.

The knowledge and wisdom of an ancient user of Natural Earth Magic + a book of knowledge concerning Natural Plants + Natural Plants = a heavy enough combo as is. I mean, Mrs. Smith *knows* how Earth Magic works, and probably knows some things about plants that that book doesn't cover. She can do so much more than just grow poisonous plants. She has the knowledge and expertise needed to *really* cut loose with plant-based attacks.

Lyra Plush: So far, I haven't seen anyone state that this plushie may give spellcasting abilities since it's of a unicorn.

Lyra Plush+Dirk Poster= Knowledge of music and lyrics + knowledge of fiction tropes+Undetectability+Smuppets. This alone could potentially turn her into a hard counter for Pinkie, since she now has both the knowledge and cool to no-sell her Laughter-style shenannigans. Second, the queen can now play to a crowd, starting musical numbers and such. Also, don't forget that, in this story, Lyra's getting swept under the rug, and Dirk's a fuckin' ninja. That's like twice the ninja in one package. Add in Lyra's magic, and you get Magical Ninjutsu. And then there's the Smuppets. I don't think I need to say any more.

Dirk+Smith=Heart. Forget knowledge of AJ's family, The queen can probably peg someone seconds after meeting them. You could also totally argue that Lyra counts too.

Dirk+Smith+Lyra=Music+Heart+Earth Magic= High level bard abilities. The ability to moralize allies, demoralize enemies (This one's big, folks!), call attention to or away from just the right things, and once again, play towards a crowd. To sway thousands of NPCs. Those subjects are going to have a massive loyalty boost.

ZOMG PLANTZ+ ZOMG MUSIC= Plant-growing music. Hey, we saw Jade doing it with that bass solo.

Lyra+Mannequin+Plants= Aside from the fact that the mooks can now be dipped in poison and carry it around inside them so that they can effectively bleed poison, this combo makes them Extremely Numerous and Disposable minions. In fact...

Mannequin+Plants+Book= Extremely Experimental minions: ...any horrible terrible experiments that no sane person would ever even consider can now be better tested on minions since that's what normal people do to mannequins and evil overlords to to minions anyway.

Mannequin+Plants+Book+Dirk+Lyra= Super-Extremely Experimental minions=...and Dirk and Lyra's casual attitudes just further this. Take that any way you like. Though, adding Granny Smith *may* diminish this trait. Or not.

Granny+Mannequin=Granniquin(+Dirk?)= Young Smith? Shaky, but a possibility.

(Dirk+Lyra+Mannequin=Stealth)*(Smith+Book+Plants=K nowledge) = Combat Skill+Camouflage+Ability to create an environment in which said camouflage will work to its fullest+knowledge of poison= Actual Ninjutsu. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

So much synergy it's not even funny. This combination of items has made for an extremely powerful adversary. The only possible weaknesses I see are these:

Conservation of Ninjutsu: Also known as the Inverse Ninja rule, since all the mooks are now ninjas, their ninja powers should be divided by how many are present. Cold comfort considering they're more than just ninjas.

Fire: Everything in that combo is extremely flammable, with the exception of Mrs. Smith, who's just pretty flammable like the rest of us mortals, and Dirk, who's got ice running through his veins--so he'd melt instead as long as he's not too cool to catch on fire. Is he too cool for that? For our heroes' sake, we'd best hope not.

Funnily enough, "Kill It With Fire" is legitimately the best combat solution I can think of.

Thumbs up Re: Hoofstuck Year II (5/6)

Quote Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
    Ah, yes, Calliope. Let's see... I think I've mentioned this before, but here's roughly my opinion about anything she says. It's hard to think of a less reliable source than someone who is modeled after a Homestuck fan creating their own theories to tie everything together using systems that have never been mentioned outside of said theories.

This is actually foreshadowing, and will be addressed later.

In the meantime, if you like you can justify it to yourself by saying that it's ridiculous to think the SBURB/SGRUB/SBALE/etc. game protoconceptual thing has "equal numbers of male and female players" hardcoded into its most basic conceptcode. Not all player species are going to be guaranteed to have exactly two sexes, after all. Instead, imagine it like the card game "Set," where you need to pick out sets of three cards as defined by four features: shape, color, number, and fill pattern. For each feature, the cards must either all have the same value for that feature (e.g. all red) or all different values (e.g. one oval, one squiggle, one diamond). SBURB/etc. works the same way, but for the most salient cultural features of the player's species. Trolls are all different blood colors and all different sexes, divided evenly among the number of players since there are fewer sexes than players. Humans are all different sexes (again divided) and all the same race (#FFFFFF). Ponies are all different breeds (except alicorns I guess) and all the same sex.

I should listen to Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido someday.
    Conclusion: Condemn those Hommstuks & jiss them fags.
    I guess you're right about that.
    Last edited by DJEN; 04-20-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Thumbs down Re: Hoofstuck Year II (5/6)

Skaia: do some exposition.
    Last edited by DJEN; 04-20-2013 at 02:21 AM.

Wiggler
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

So!

I've been reading this thing and just caught up recently... and it's bad cause I crave for more :/ I've actually delurked and registered myself right now to say that. Hope you'll get us another update soon, Violet. I mean, reasonably soon, because song and all of that.

Oh, and before I forget: I think prototyping Granny Smith was kinda... rushed? It's probably cause of this wrapping-everything-up mode end of an act usually receives but really, she should have at least said something or maybe die. I hope sprites will get some time later to present themselves (DIRK).

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I think we are going at the speed of alpha kids.

Havin a giggle there m8 ? spongefan12's Avatar
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

I can't wait to see the flash for the song!
    Society Of Time Travelers & Other Mythical Beings

List Of Fanventures & etc...

Sorry for my impatience, but do you have any estimate on when this will be out?

Pronouns
    [none]

>Song: Be about running around Ponyville.

You and your newfound entourage -- well, okay, you and the Mayor's entourage, which you're kind of borrowing -- spend the first bridge of the song doing the titular running around Ponyville. Helpfully, a lot of ponies were already gathered or gathering at Town Hall, as is customary during crises. And since crises in Ponyville are themselves somewhat customary, a lot of ponies have gotten pretty used to gathering here. You find some more stragglers and bring them all together for your words of inspiration, as introduced by Mayor Mare herself.

===>

Okay, that went poorly. You need to nip this in the bud before Ponyville turns to its other customary crisis response: running around in blind panic, screaming and crashing into each other. You take a few seconds to collect yourself, coinciding conveniently with the second bridge, and seek out the source of the chaos. If you can get these three to quiet down, maybe the rest of the crowd will follow suit!

===>

Seafoam briefly introduces herself and explains, both to you and to the crowd, that her special talent is water. Not, say, just filtering drinking water or talking to dolphins or being a great surfer; water. All of it. And if she takes the water from the Ponyville dam, suspends it above the village, and freezes it, it'll form an enormous dome of ice to block out the meteors with.

"Have you ever done anything of this magnitude before?" you ask her.

"No, never. But I have to try, don't I?"

If she feels she has to try, she has to try. Even if it goes wrong somehow, you can't see her making the situation any worse than it already is. An earth pony, Cherry, also steps forward and voluntees her plan: to take anypony who wants to go away with her, in the Twinkling Balloon, before the dome is erected, in case areas of Equestria that are not Ponyville are being targeted by fewer meteors and thus safer.

This is what Rarity was hoping for, isn't it? Ponies besides yourselves stepping up to defend their homes? It's beautiful.

===>

===>

===>

===>

===>

===>

"Hmm... nah."

===>

"Nah?!?" Swift Justice is all but foaming at the mouth. "What do you mean, nah?! That was a direct order! Do your duty, policemare!"

Linky chuckles. "Right, right! Order, duty, etcetera. Well, madam, let me tell you what I think about that. One, you're an ombudsmare, and not only are neither of us sure if you can give me orders, we certainly haven't got any time to check.

"Two, Twilight Sparkle was just one hay of a lot more useful than you've been, y'know? So if she says Princess Celestia needs her to go somewhere else and save something or other, sounds good to me!

"Three, even if I did try to arrest her again, it wouldn't really do much good on a unicorn who can teleport away at any time." She gives you a very meaningful look. You blush and mutter something.

"And four... being a police officer's been fun and all, but with meteors falling down and everything changing, I think it's time to change along with it, don't you? So I quit! But good luck surviving! ...I guess."

She walks off, whistling a catchy tune quite unrelated to the song that you were just singing. Swift Justice stares at her in fury for several seconds. "Come back!" she screams at last. "You can't walk away like that! I'll have you arrested!"

"Can't arrest me, you're an ombudsmare!" says Linky, in a singsong voice.

===>

You follow her example and take your leave as well, albeit a little more flashily.

You'll see Linky again. But the next time she speaks to you, you'll be much less happy with her than you are right now.
    Last edited by Violet CLM; 05-15-2013 at 08:06 AM.

> TS: Check the time!

> TS: Grab your fluffy wubby orally-approvable pony waifu.

> TS: Do a headcount of who decided to come with you.

> Swift Justice: Have a huge combined (or conflicting) spadescrush between Twilight Sparkle and Linky.

> Swift Justice: Sing a song of your own.

> Swift Justice: Throw away the law and succumb to anarchistic, law-mocking behavior.

> Swift Justice: Take over Linky's legal responsibilities, ascending beyond the mere ranks of ombudsmare. Be the law Ponyville so obviously needs.

> Action: Switch to Seafoam. Her plan sounds a lot more exciting and dramatic than Twilight's.

Also, a little art nitpick: I'm not sure Linky's cells architecturally possible (at least, the left one is dubious, considering the window and implied depth).

Also x2: Add a seizure/flashing light warning (if such a thing has a point on a homestuck forum/adventure, that is).
    Last edited by Zarhon; 05-15-2013 at 09:19 AM.

That song was a thing of beauty.

>TS: Quick, enter your session! You can take roll call later!

Pronouns
    [none]

> TS: Check the time!

You warp back to your library. A mare's home is her castle, even if yours is going to take flight in the very near future. "Spike!"

"Hi Twilight!"

"How much time have I got left?"

"Just over fifty seconds, Twilight!" He looks impressed. "Did you just save Ponyville?"

"No, but Seafoam just might, I hope." You don't have time to elaborate. "Are we bringing anyone with us?"

===>

"Yeah!" says Spike. "This one pony showed up a couple minutes ago. I told her it might be dangerous, but she's got her own cannon!"

You wave cheerfully. Bon-Bon does not reciprocate. "Just the one?" you ask. Sure, you didn't exactly give anypony much time to come join you, but you kind of hoped you'd be seen as a slightly safer bet than that.

Spike scratches his chin. "Well, uh, there was another pony, but she ran off when I told her you weren't here. Said something about figuring out what some hourglasses were telling her, and how we were all going to die. Y'know, typical Ponyville stuff. That mare who used to come by a lot, what's her name..."

===>

"Uh... Colgate."

===>

Wiggler
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Song's good

> TS: Hurry up. Less than a minute really isn't much time for rescuing someone.

>TS: Please know where she is. Or at least have that be a homing-teleport spell.

>TS: Seriously, you *really* don't want to be tardy for this.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

>TS: Teleport around really really quickly.

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

> TS: There is no time for this ... you can't save everyone. Go back to your house and enter.

> Spike: Doesn't it seem a little odd for Bon-Bon to have a cannon with her? Where'd she even get it?

> [S] TS: Hurry!

> Bon Bon: Do absolutely nothing villainous, like hijack the house and entering the medium. With Twilight absent.

> Bon Bon: Be a proxy for Cruxite destruction, to put Twilight's mind at ease of any terrible foreshadowing.
    Last edited by Zarhon; 05-16-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Pronouns
    [none]

Today I fixed some things that had been bugging me for a long time:
    • Removed a blue square from the sky on this page. There are certainly plenty of other panels that have art issues or are simply ugly, and that's something I just have to live with, but that one stood out because it was fairly prominent and actually looked like it was supposed to be something in the sky, as opposed to being an image artifact from my accidentally having something selected while screencapping. Tsk.
    • Fixed Applejack's box to use the same art before and after landing on her. I'd lost the original source image and replaced it with another one two panels in, and that never made any sense, so now it doesn't look like a potential plot point.
    • Removed a line about finding out what Luna would be like in three weeks, since that hadn't made any sense since Luna Eclipsed aired, which was a long time ago. That one was a bad idea to begin with.
    • Removed the idea that Equestria uses an octal numbering system. That was almost plausible in season 1, which was remarkably numbers-free, but as time went on, more numbers showed up in the show and it became more of a stretch. Plausibility aside, though, it was just an awful idea... the only reason it was in there was me trying to look clever by talking about base systems, and the only contribution it could possibly have made was making anything with numbers more confusing to readers. As a result, the octal system was never mentioned again, and numbers in general have been largely avoided, besides of course the cruxtruder countdowns (which have all probably lasted longer than they reasonably should have, especially if they'd been in octal). Oh, and the digit '9' did show up in this earlier panel, so not only was it a bad idea that made doing other stuff harder or more confusing, it wasn't even internally consistent. Bleh! I do still kind of like the idea of eight currency "bits" making a "byte," but again, confusing just for the sake of confusing.
    • Edited Nth Degree Dash to use the color scheme and hairstyle of RD's dad in Games Ponies Play. (I don't think anyone ever got the joke about Ember and fraternal orders on that page.) Simple principle: all that matters about his appearance is that he's a male pegasus with rainbow hair. If he uses the same model as the show, that's less confusing, the plot doesn't change one iota, and nothing goes wrong.
    • Conversely, removed the warnings about certain pages diverging from FiM canon -- specifically the identity of Rarity's mother, the first name of Mrs. Cake, and whether Bon-Bon could have reason to hate Fluttershy -- because readers can be trusted to figure out that in such a long-running comic, certain pages may have been posted ahead of certain episodes. That's also one possible reading of Golden Harvest's explanation that Hoofstuck differs from FiM by things that happen in the future. The very fact that Twilight doesn't have wings is after all a sign that certain things can happen in show canon that don't percolate into Hoofstuck; Rarity's family is just a straightforward extension. Also something something ectobiology. It's not impossible that I might write up a more formal explanation at some point -- I've floated the idea before that Hoofstuck should just ignore everything that happens in the show post-Alicornization -- but in the meantime, having no specific notices is easier than having some but arbitarily not including others.

I don't plan to do anything like this again... most retcons I do are either changing that one pegasus' name from Ditzy to Derpy to Íæû ë€Å to Derpy to Bubblecup, or minor word things like realizing after the fact that Raindrops should have said "Blossomfourth" instead of "Blossomforth." What this was was more wrapping up the act, just in a different direction. But as I said, all those things had been bugging me, and now they're not, and the comic's an easier read and nothing of value has been lost.

TS: Miss completely.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

>Sudden switch to discord.

Havin a giggle there m8 ? spongefan12's Avatar
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

> DISCORD APPEAR
    Society Of Time Travelers & Other Mythical Beings