MSPA Forums
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Legend of the Tea Master (Chapter 1 - The Festival)

Re: Legend of the Tea Master (Chapter 1 - The Festival)

>Shyly admit to Sang that you're still kinda a newbie at the game. As much as you don't like to like to show you don't know how to play, it's way more better than acting like a fool who pretends to know. The ruse would fall too quickly anyway.
    Seconded.

Demonically Inclined Companion Crono30067's Avatar

> Pretend to be amazing at Pai Sho to impress her

Quote Originally Posted by Crono30067 View Post
    > Pretend to be amazing at Pai Sho to impress her
    >Don't, she'll know!

Net Idol Tenma Moderator Kíeros's Avatar

> Duck down and hide. Maybe she won't see you.
    Rules     :     Mods
    [R4G] Break In

Pronouns
    [any]

Quote Originally Posted by Iroh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wessolf27 View Post
    >Shyly admit to Sang that you're still kinda a newbie at the game. As much as you don't like to like to show you don't know how to play, it's way more better than acting like a fool who pretends to know. The ruse would fall too quickly anyway.
    Seconded.
    Thirded.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuade View Post
    >Excuse yourself for a moment and run into the crowd. Find/bribe an earthbender that knows the rules to coat your hands in dirt so he can earthbend your hand towards the correct tiles. There is absolutely no way this could go wrong.
    This ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Morphimus View Post
    Seconded.
    Thirded.
    Fourthed.

Mmm, that was refreshing. BestTeaMaker's Avatar

gottawantit
    Read "Become a Pai Sho Expert in Three Minutes," a book which you definitely remembered to pack in your bag that morning.

You know, you totally would do just that if 1) you didn't leave your bag back at Peng's Sweets and 2) you actually owned such a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuade View Post
    >Excuse yourself for a moment and run into the crowd. Find/bribe an earthbender that knows the rules to coat your hands in dirt so he can earthbend your hand towards the correct tiles. There is absolutely no way this could go wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kíeros View Post
    > Duck down and hide. Maybe she won't see you.
    No good. As soon as Sang called out to you, the crowd stepped back, leaving you out in the open. Besides, dirty your hands to play a board game? That is not going to impress Sang.

Korin>Admit to Sang that you don't know how to play Pai Sho

Sang stares at you for a moment, causing rivulets of sweat to crawl down your neck. Then, a warm smile creeps over her previously distraught face.

Sang
    Oh, you're so silly. It's alright if you don't know. Since I'm about to teach these two bozos how to play, you should take this chance and join in.

Liang-La
    I resent that comment.

Sang
    Oh shush. Well, shall we begin? Let's learn how to play Pai Sho!

Pai Sho
    Standard rules

Pai Sho is an ancient board game that has been said to be in existence since the foundations of Bending were developed. The game has developed several different rules, from determination of points to the tiles used themselves. It is a game based around the art of Flower Arranging, which is said to exemplify the balance between man and nature, and Feng Shui, the arrangement of one's surroundings to better improve one's concentration and luck. It is a game of skill and wit, but it also is a game of peace, as the goal of the game is to create harmony in the four gardens of Pai Sho.

You feel a bit flustered, but somehow you managed to learn the rules of the game. At least you did it better than either the adults, who are now burying their heads on the table in frustration.

Liang-La
    Aaargh! Why are these rules so darn complicated?! My head's hurting from all these rules.

Ching
    Tell me about it. I feel like I had a thousand scrolls crammed into my head. Who the hell thought this game was fun?!

Sang
    Oh c'mon! They're not hard rules. Any game that you learn will take getting used to. Here, let me show you some situations, and see if you can solve them.

Korin>_

The rules were adapted from the sites LotusGambit and The Pai Sho Project.

Edit: Whoops changed the puzzles to make them actually work right.
    Last edited by BestTeaMaker; 11-14-2012 at 11:31 AM.

I can't tell the flowers apart :P I shall attempt to answer when my head is clear...By the way, awesome job on this chapter! This is brilliant

Just a wolfram, call me Wess. Wessolf27's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Edited:

1) Put the chrysanthemum below the rhododendron
    2) rotate wheel tile clockwise.
    3) Move boat tile carrying the knotweed tile upwards one space.
    Last edited by Wessolf27; 11-14-2012 at 12:47 PM.

challange 1: move the Rhododendron tile three fields downwards?
    Last edited by delusiveJester; 11-14-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Well, guess what happens when you only have 3 hours of sleep and you've just taken a midterm that you probably think you didn't do well on?

Well, my brain certainly benefited from actual sleep last night as I realized two of the three puzzles above were borked. So I fixed them, and NOW they should work. I hope.

Carry on.

Remember, each tile must stay in their respective gardens.
    Aka, white flowers in the white, red flowers in the red. What goes on the yellow/neutral gardens doesn't matter.

For challenge one:
    Use a white lotus tile. Instant harmony.

I believe this is the third turn so yes we are allowed to use it.
    Dante Megido, from the forum adventure Adultstuck. Credits to Artistic Mage.
    It appears images are broken on my Sig. Ohwell.

-PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT-

Alright, your pineapple-headed, tea-drinking, awesome-all-around dude is here to give everyone an important message. I will be changing the art style of this adventure to something that is much, much easier on the eye. The reason I chose this art style in the first place was to work around the fact that I only had a mouse to work with despite having a tablet laptop because I couldn't find a competent drawing program that played nice with my laptop. Then, within the last week, I discovered the fun and joy that is SAI and its noticeable lack of horrendous slowdowns.

What does this mean? Well, it means that Tea Master will now receive a HUGE overhaul in the aesthetics department. Because of this, the amount of animations I would usually do might drop (probably not much because SAI exports to PS now). I will say that updates will become more sporadic, as it will require much of my ability to churn this stuff out.

Alright, everyone got it? Ok, good. You may now resume trying to solve these Pai Sho puzzles.

A few minutes later after the disaster that was the Pai Sho match...

Sang
    Arrgh! That was most irritating moment of the night! I can't believe that two fully grown adults would desecrate such a game like that!
    You walk alongside her, enjoying the Sweet Snow Liang-La had nicely given you two for free to avoid a further talking to from Sang. Between her rants, she quickly stuffs her spoon in her mouth before angrily scooping some more snow to calm herself down.

Sang
    Well, know I'm in the mood to win something. Rrgh! I heard there was this game stand somewhere near the alley. Let's go there and blow off some steam.

You both approach the the entrance of the alleyway, where some of the smaller stands have set up shop. While you notice their make is of rather low quality, the laughter and noise of crowds around them assure you that you will find something interesting here as well. When you get near one, however, a rather familiar voice rings out above the crowd, causing you both to turn your heads.

???
    HEEEY! Hey, Mr. Tea Guy and his lady friend! Over here!

Korin>_

So, I'll post the solutions to the Pai Sho puzzles a bit later. I hope you guys enjoy the new art style.

> elements, give me strenght. What is HE doing here, having a stand at the festival

>No go find Brock.

Just a wolfram, call me Wess. Wessolf27's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

>Ask how his story is going on.

>Go forth.

The new art style is much appreciated.

Net Idol Tenma Moderator Kíeros's Avatar

> Go up and greet him.
    Rules     :     Mods
    [R4G] Break In

Demonically Inclined Companion Crono30067's Avatar

>What are you selling?

Nice art!

>Go say hi

>Go say hi
    Quote Originally Posted by informativeCloud View Post
    >Go forth.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic3535 View Post
    > Greet him warmly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kíeros View Post
    > Go up and greet him.

Korin>Greet Zha

You immediately recognize Zha, the man who was one of your first customers and gave you a nice, big tip. Of course you're going to say hi to him. Both you and Sang wave at Zha, who keeps waving emphatically back.

Zha
    Heeeeey! So nice to see the both of you! You were, Korin, yes? Oh, and you miss, you were....Song?

Sang
    It's Sang, but I'm flattered you remembered me. Last I saw you, you ran out before I could tell you that the festival wasn't until today. How did you end up working at a stall in the festival?

Zha
    Well, I was going to go check out the fair, only to realize that, yes, it wasn't even time yet. I was hungry, lost, and above all, tired. I found a kindly old man who agreed to take me in. So, in order to pay off my debts for finding me a place to sleep, I agreed to run his stall for him while he and his children go off and enjoy the festival.

Sang
    Oh, are you okay being here?

Zha
    Are you kidding? I love being behind a stall! It's like being one the frontline of the culture here! I can see and meet so many people as they enjoy the festival. Already the creative juices are flowing in my brain for an epic setting of my second play!

Quote Originally Posted by Crono30067 View Post
    >What are you selling?

Immediately Zha whips out one of the small wooden boards. You can see a faintly-outlined drawing on the board.

Zha
    See, this man I'm working for has this amazing talent for carving, so he decided to make it into a game. All you have to do is carve along this outline. Do it, and you win a prize!

Sang's eyes immediately lights up.

Sang
    That's it? I am so doing this!

Sang slaps some of her money on the table and immediately goes to work on a board.

In just three seconds, however the board shatters into pieces, leaving Sang rather surprised.

Zha
    I should also mention that these boards are quite fragile. You can't use too much force or else it will break.
    Sang
    Rrrrgh! I will get this!

Zha looks up quizzically at you. As another groan of frustration arises from Sang, you explain to Zha about the Pai Sho fiasco. He nods understandingly as he hands Sang another board as he collects the coins.

He then looks up at you. Suddenly, he slaps his hand together as he gives you a pleading look.

Zha
    Say, since this thing will take a bit of time, can you do me a quick favor? I heard there's this stall nearby that sells maps. I can't exactly go get it myself since I have to watch this stand. Could you go buy a map of Ba Sing Se for me, so I don't get lost again? I'll pay you back when you return.
    Korin>_

>Check on Sang.
    >Ask(in futility) if it's okay.
    >Get(predictably) ignored.
    >Then leave to get the map.