A petition? What?
You see the top banner? The one that MSPA has outgrown (so, so proud)? The one that's being used for the Kickstarter right now? I'm proposing a petition asking Andrew to use that banner to promote the Homestuck music team. (...after the Kickstarter ends, of course.)
Sweet! So the Homestuck albums are gonna be on the front page?
Um... actually, no. Specifically, I'm asking for the banner to be used to promote the music team's non-Homestuck music. To wit:
Michael Guy Bowman has an independently-produced solo album being sold on Bandcamp, called "Ithaca", released in January of this year. If you liked "Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido" at all, you'll love it. He's planning to release a Ithaca remix album later this year as well. He's also formed a band with fellow music team members Erik "Jit" Scheele and Clark "Plazmataz" Powell, as well as fanmusicians Mark Nabors and Riki a.k.a. Astro Kid. They recently put in a performance at South by Southwest. (It was great.)
Thomas Ferkol, otherwise known as Eidolon Orpheus, has an album out on Bandcamp as well, called "The Earthern Scar", which combines lush orchestral soundscapes with sweet electric guitar. It's a familiar style. You'll probably remember it from Bargaining with the Beast or Infinity Mechanism. He's working on another album as well, "The Liminal Descent", which will be a sequel to Earthern Scar.
Jeremy Iamurri (a.k.a. Solatrus) and Nick Smalley have teamed up to form a band called Block Monster. Recently, they crafted the soundtrack to a little game called "Starhaven". Jeremy is also working on two more game soundtracks: one for the game "Spiritwake", the other for "Starbound" (in conjunction with fellow team member Toby "Radiation" Fox!), so look out for those! (Incidentally, you may know Solatrus from solo album "Prospit and Derse", and Nick from Ohgodwhat and Stargaze. They've also worked before on tracks such as Miasmajesty and Gilded Sands.)
Robert J! Lake, who you might remember from The Beginning of Something Really Excellent and that song that gave everybody nightmares and not being able to sleep in a casino, composed the soundtrack to a charming game called "Omegalodon", in which you play a giant shark that destroys buildings. Repeat: a giant shark. That destroys buildings. Needless to say, the soundtrack is awesome.
Robert Blaker, known elsewhere as Screamcatcher, has a trio of albums out on his Bandcamp page: "Pathology", "Do Without" and "Home". He is an amazing producer, and you should definitely check it out if you're into electronic music at all. In Homestuck, Robert's known best for the (note: unofficial!) "Tomb of the Ancestors" album, as well as perennial favourite Upward Movement (Dave Owns).
Svix is probably one of the lesser-known members of the team, but no less impressive. His tracks for Homestuck include the chiptune-esque gems Trepidation and Havoc He has an album released on Bandcamp, called "Induction". Check it out!
These are only the works that have been released so far so there may be MORE IN THE FUTURE??????!?!?
You dare defile my front page with non-Homestuck stuff?! RAAAAAAGE!!
Dude did you not read my trigger warning. Besides, that banner's always been an ad anyway, so technically your front page has always been "defiled" with non-Homestuck stuff up till now. But now, it'll (hopefully) be an ad advertising the stuff that was done by the people who did Homestuck music!... damn that was a long sentence.
Okay, fine. But why are you doing this? Why the petition?
1) They deserve it. If you've been tracking the Homestuck Bandcamp... actually no, if you've been reading the comic with your audio on at ALL, you'll know that pretty much everything these guys put out is absolute quality. However...
2) Despite the sheer talent the music team has, they're woefully underappreciated in the fandom. They need the exposure. There are fans who think the music team is one person. There are fans who DON'T KNOW THERE'S A MUSIC TEAM. And even among those who do, only a small number of them know anything about the music team's other endeavours, and only a tiny fraction of those actually buy these albums. Which brings me to my final point...
3) A lot of you are probably thinking now, "okay, but I already buy the Homestuck music; why should I buy their other stuff as well?" The answer is simple: gratitude. Think of it as a thank-you for contributing so much quality music to Homestuck. It's important to remember that these are people with other artistic works besides Homestuck; shouldn't we thank them by helping them to succeed at their endeavours? And so they can continue to inundate the world (actually more like the internet) with awesome music!
...okay maybe that's a bit of a lofty goal. Let's at least help them not-starve so they don't have to go "hey, what's food." GOOD PLAN?
But... what's in it for me?
Need I remind you that this music is made by the Homestuck music team folks? (read: great music for cheap!!?!?!?!!)
So how will this work?
Simple: just make a post in this thread with signed in bold! Optionally, you may also specify the name you wish to be identified as; if nothing is specified I will just use your forum username.
I'm aiming for a minimum of 500 at least, with an upper limit of no-upper-limit because the more the merrier. I'm setting October 1st, 2012 as the deadline - coinciding (almost!) with the end of the Kickstarter. I will then be emailing Andrew personally with the details of the petition and our request, as well as the namelist of people who signed the petition. And then we can work things out from there.
Let's do this, guys. The music team really deserves our support. And heck, we can raise $700,000 in one and a half days; we can totally do this.
Thanks in advance!
Signed! What else can I do?
Plenty! For example:
- Buy the albums!
- Signal boost this on Tumblr! Or any other social networking thing you might have. Maybe even ALL OF THEM??
- Tell your friends! Tell your enemies! TELL EVERYONE. (About the albums. And also this petition??)
- HAVE A NICE DAY!... that... that wasn't really like, a Thing you can do, with regards to the petition, it was just like... have a nice day regardless, okay?
People who have signed so far: