MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 22 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Session 100: Part 3 (Story and Characters)

Continuity Officer perspectiveFanatic's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Session 100: Part 3 (Story and Characters)

Session 100

the end goal for this project is to create a session where we have a total of 100 players, each with unique classpects, but the art and details are being worked on in part 2 (link to art and details thread). In part 1 we created 100 classes and 100 aspects (link to google doc with all classpects). We also have a TUMBLR, where we update on important desisions

In this part our goal is to;

Story
    create a rough guideline for the ultimate goal of the session
    Create a more detailed guideline for act 1 and two of each session

(note; the way the project will work is that each writer / writer & artist team, will have their own isolated session with a certain amount of characters, the sessions will eventually start to cross over as events in the story unfold)

Characters
    when we have writers set in stone writers will then start choosing characters, that they wish to use, you will need to create a basic out line for the character, details here

List of classes and aspects, ones in bold are already being used by confirmed charecters:

(for more info on the aspects and classes click here)

Sessions:
    sessions the characters will be placed in; look at 'details here' link for more info:

Confirmed Characters:
    These characters have been created and put into a session; look at 'details here' link for more info:

Unconfirmed Characters:
    These characters are either missing something important (sprite, guardian, etc.), defie one of the rules (more then 4 letter first names, is a troll, etc.), have yet to be put into a session, or multiple. They will either need to be updated, or found a session. Note: No sessionist needs to put in these charecters, and its perfectly Ok for many of them to just be left laying in the abyss.
    Last edited by perspectiveFanatic; 04-19-2014 at 01:08 AM.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Re: Session 100: Part 3 (Story and Characters)

OK, I figure its a good idea to start the story section with a basic question.
    Since we decided in part 1 that for simplicities sake that all writers will have their own isolated session to start out on, but the question is how will this multi session thing work. I see two options (although i'm open to more suggestions, i'll even create a graph)

The first is that way is that each session exists as the successful session of multiple universe's that created each other, similarly to how the trolls created the kids universe, and each universe would have their own skaia

The second way I see is what i call a "Skaia System". Basically each session revolves around A giant Skaia, and they have their own planets revolving around them. With them having one Skaia and all sessions originating from one universe.

Which one do you think is best?

Pronouns
    he/him/his

The SS could be able to deal with more characters more quickly.
    Putting inferior automobiles and starting Pokemon in their places since 1922.

What if 100 people played in a session?

Pronouns
    he/him/his

True, it would also take away the BIG problem of early session to session interaction (I.e how the trolls talked to the kids).

should there be any relevance to who's closer to skaia?
    Last edited by perspectiveFanatic; 02-15-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I had the idea of having the characters we first encounter being the first we encounter, and the last Post-Scratch characters to be introduced the Furthest But Not Too Furthest Ring.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I think the best thing might actually just be having all the sessions happening simultaneously on different threads.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

True, but we need main characters in any case. A main plot that goes over everything with many smaller side plots done in other threads, preferably done as best as possible to be stand alone stories.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

What if we make it so (like the kids session) this session has something important for Skaia, something big likely.

WE also ofcourse need an antagonist... maybe a god like figure with some charisma, someone who is everywhere, taugnting everything, fighting against everything, etc. then he starts taking people to join him or something.
    Last edited by perspectiveFanatic; 02-16-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I had the idea of several different groups trying to one-up each other, with several rampaging solo characters (e.g. Jack Noir), so that it all turns into one big ClusterStuck (We really should use this name in here somewhere.).

EDIT: Strangely enough though, I came up with a disturbingly similar character to play a role in the story, and before you ask yes I've thought up quite a few concepts for the session.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I think the one uping idea is a good idea. once we get to the point where sessions start meeting (this is when we use ClusterStuck... its brilliant name) it could even be just people not actually trying to be evil, its just their Ego's getting in the way

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Actually i just had an idea. What if, whenever we have a point when we have atleast 2 characters that are both from different sessions on screen, we initiate a 'ClusterStuck' mode, in this mode the two writers/artists will work together on each panel in this mode.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

That'd be... actually fairly awesome. We should have at least two on a session however, as we could have entire Acts centered around one group, and that'd likely be a bit too much for one artist.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I'm not sure I completely get what you mean when you say "two on a session", do you mean two writers per session? two people? two characters meeting another set of two characters?

Insignificant Individual AABowser's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Here's what I think he's saying:

You mentioned earlier that a session can be worked on by one writer and one artist, or one all-rounder. The latter is the problem. Since a single session could easily go through an entire act without a ClusterStuck, it could get quite stressful for a single person to write everything up to that point themselves.

This raises an interesting question. What do we do if one of the sessions suddenly stop? Personally, I think if someone does get tired or stressed out, they should enlist the assistance of another writer for a while. I mean, the least they can do is resign their position, and leave behind all their notes and plans so someone else can take over. Alternatively/additionally, we could assign each session multiple writers and artists. That way, if one person drops out, there's still at least one person left to report it.

That raises another question. Will we have enough people? Assuming each session has on average 4 players, that makes 25 different sessions! If each session has at least 2 people working on it, we're looking at a minimum of 50 people! Assuming there's no one willing to take on multiple sessions.
    Watch in awe as I end every comment I've ever written and ever will write with the most anticlimactic signature in the universe!!!!!!!!!

poop

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I don't think we'll do 4 players. I think if we have an average of 10 (its not like that's too hard, there were 12 in HiveBent and that worked well enough, at the very least we'll have 5 in each session). Which means 10 (or at worst 20) total sessions. With that we can have one Sessionist (new word for Writer/Writer-and-Artist Pairing to make it so we don't have to keep saying an over convoluted thing to be politically correct) for each session, and possibly some substitutes?

I have been wondering what to do if something bad happens (like someone gets a heart attack or something, like the SPONY session for example) so the logical solution is to do two things. Firstly we need to make sure any important assets (characters rooms planets etc.) are kept safe in several important places (PNG versions on this thread, PSD versions on MediaFire maybe, and a few people who might be have a folder on their computer with the files). The second thing is to make sure that the plot can be maluable so that if one session is gone it doesn't destroy the entire plot. This means making no one session more important then the other. This is one of the reasons I like the show offy antagonists idea allot, because if one of them was to suddenly just disapear it wouldn't really matter too much (although we would need to create a reason, whitch would likely be something based on the show-offy antagonist of such session). Destroying the session however is only the last resort if no one is willing to take over fore them though.

However if we do have enought writers by the time we start this to have a back up specific to each session, then destroying sessions won't be a big worry (although we should still make sure all assents are double saved and then quadruble saved)
    Last edited by perspectiveFanatic; 02-18-2014 at 01:57 AM.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I think that teams of 2-4 work best.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

If we're doing that then we will defiantly be doing 10 player sessions (possibly more).
    But what this doe mean atleast is that things will be high quality, and we can make this a big project for the HS community.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

OK, now that we have gotten to the point where I think everyone understands that I have the next story based problem that I have drawn graphs for to bring up. The moons; and as a solution to this i see a few option, feel free to bring up other ideas that you see as fitting;

Skaia Specific Prospit and Derse. basically we have 50 people on prospit and derse evenly split up between each session. It will be rediculously hectic and if we chose this we will likley have to figure out some kind of something to block people off from randomly just meeting each other (some economy thing maybe)

Then there are of course Session Specific Prospit and Derse, basically each session holds their own seperate prospit and derse where the dreamers are split.

Then there is Skaia Specific Multi Moons The basic idea of this is that since Prospit and Derse's goal in the war is to attack and defend respectively we would create a few more moons (8 likely) that have other purposes. Then roughly one person per session would then be sent to each of these moons

And finally there's Session Specific Multi Moons. Basically the idea is the same as above, except each session has one specific moon to their session.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

If we go with the Scratch idea I brought up we'd only have to work with 25 characters per moon. Still an absurd amount, but it's more manageable. Not to mention we could totally go in depth with the complex political structures of the planets with webs of deceit and lies.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

the tricky thing of ofcourse is that with ant skaia specific ideas is that we need to find a way to keep them separated for most of the time

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Skaia Specific Prospit and Derse could easily destroy the bombshell "Holy shit, all these sessions were connected!" realisation.
    I think Skaia Specific Multi Moons does this as well, but has more potential for subtlety.

Also, what kind of purposes would these other moons have?
    Watch in awe as I end every comment I've ever written and ever will write with the most anticlimactic signature in the universe!!!!!!!!!

poop

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Maybe something like a Supplier (Collects resources) or a reasearcher (creates new technologies for war) etc.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Well since it is a war between Prospit and Derse we are talking about we can solve the problem logistically. Have both sides have colonial asteroid cities. With as many celestial bodies in the way Derse is gonna have a hard time hitting Skaia with a kinetic bombardment like before. It's gonna need relay stations to shuttle those big rocks around before they go ballistic. And of course Prospit will need lookout posts to head off attacks before they start shooting.

Another possibility is that a majority of characters per thread simply don't have access to their dream selves yet. As a precaution it may have been feasible for the Prospit/Derse inhabitants to hide their heroes on different asteroids to make it harder for the enemy to find them and assassinate them. Thus many of the dreamers are isolated from the others even inside their own sessions. Think of the Mayors story line for this idea.

Does any of this work for you all?

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I like both of these idea's, very interesting. and both of these are certainly interesting options

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Abbreviation time!

Skaia Specific Prospit and Derse => [SkSPD]
    Session Specific Prospit and Derse => [SeSPD]
    Skaia Specific Multi Moons => [SkSMM]
    Session Specific Multi Moons => [SeSMM]

Skaia Specific => [SkS]
    Session Specific => [SeS]
    Prospit and Derse => [PD]
    Multi Moons => [MM]
    Colonized Asteroids => [CA] (Awesome idea, by the way!)

Just so we don't have to do this all the time:

Quote Originally Posted by AABowser View Post
    Skaia Specific Prospit and Derse could easily destroy the bombshell "Holy shit, all these sessions were connected!" realisation.
    I think Skaia Specific Multi Moons does this as well, but has more potential for subtlety.
    ---

Opinion updated!

I think [SkS] could easily get extremely hectic, but shows potential. Sessionists would maybe have to schedule regular meetings, in order to reliably plan a decent and consistent story. Sure, players could run into each other, but that could be remedied by restricting their movements in some way. However, players could also indirectly interact with each other.

Imagine if Gary from Session #5 throws an anvil out of his window, accidentally killing a prospitian. This event is recorded in the local newspaper, and Dora from Session #1 catches wind of it. "Extra, extra! Read all about it! The Count of Love has turned against us!" This confuses her greatly, because she doesn't remember having a count in her group. She attempts to investigate this, but then her dream self is killed by an anvil dropped on her head from Gary's tower. This time, it's because Link from Session #8 hired an assassin to get revenge on the dumbass who killed his friend. Link's friend turns out to be the prospitian that Gary killed with his anvil. Upon arriving in Gary's tower, the assassin accidentally bumps into Gary's stack of anvils, causing one to fall out the window and kill Dora's dream self. Gary's dream self is also killed. This massacre is also recorded in the local newspaper, and the other players on Prospit either panic, or get extremely confused. "Since when did we have a count and a sleuth in our group?" It's around this time that the bombshell is dropped, and everyone start meeting one another.

If we want to go with [MM], we need to establish a sustainable network of moons. We could possibly divide them in different factions.

Team1:
    Attackers (Derse)
    Allies (?)

Team2:
    Defenders (Prospit)
    Allies (?)

Neutral:
    Traders
    Farmers
    Rebels
    Researchers
    Factory-ers

poop

Page 1 of 22 123411 ... LastLast